Friday, March 15, 2013
House Plant Dress-up
At the end of the summer, the place where we were keeping the plant had to be unlocked so we just decided to take it home. One of my coworkers took the main part of the plant and I took the random off-shoot it had begun growing from its roots.
Once home, we planted it in a very large, red plastic bowl. The plant looked lonely and forlorn in the oversize container and so I decided that, with the rest of the living-room makeovers, it deserved something new. I went to the dollar store recently to see if I could find a new container. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, but I did find this vase. It was clear glass. I do have to be careful to not over water the plant since it doesn't have a hole in the bottom to drain. Patrick also happened to have a whole can full of grey house paint.
While the paint will wear/ scratch off eventually with rough handling, I figured it would work fine for a house plant. I just painted the outside of the vase. I decided to do one coat and leave some evidence of brush strokes because I thought it gave it character (and David woke up from his nap). I then tied a yellow ribbon I had around it and had a stylish new house plant.
I do have to be careful to not over water the plant since it doesn't have a hole in the bottom to drain.