Back just before David was born, all his baby stuff began to clutter our one bedroom. As a solution, I designed a bed frame, and then Patrick and I built it. It was designed to have the box spring placed on top, and since the bed was designed to have enough clearance underneath for a large box of diapers, this put the top of the mattress a ways in the air.
Fast forward to recently, when David has an apparent death wish. If I put him on the bed, even before I let go, he is immediately turning over and army crawling to the edge of the bed in an attempt to dive off. Of course, I don't leave him on the bed by himself, but I still worried about how high the bed was. I caught him on the way down a bit ago and decided that something needed to be done.
I had been thinking about my plan for a while, so I had already examined the box spring from the outside. It seemed to have a piece of cardboard over the top of some wooden slats as the top where the mattress rests. I concluded that the top of the box spring should probably be enough to support the bed since many beds are just made with slats in the first place. Thus, I planned to just remove the rest of the box spring.
I slit the fabric on the sides down about 2 inches from the top all the way around. Then we (and by we I really mean Patrick since I just kept David off the floor mostly) used a hammer and a screw driver to pry the top off the 15 2 x 4 type legs. We then glued the fabric down around the outside with gorilla glue (we still haven't purchased that staple gun). After the glue dried, we just set it back on the bed frame.
It is no less comfortable or sturdy, and I no longer have to step on the bed frame to get into bed. Also, I just think it looks nicer and, since it isn't as tall, it makes the room look bigger. As for the excess wood we took off, I have plans.