Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Message of the Blog

It has been a bit since I have made a post. I've still been making things, but my husband also graduated and we therefore had family in town. Then I spent about a week recovering from having family in town since I had neglected certain things (like laundry). In my absence from the blog, I  thought a lot about what the purpose of this blog is so as better direct my posts.

There are a ton of blogs out there by people that make all sorts of things. I am sure there is someone who has already done just about everything I have done. Furthermore, I use a lot of materials that I know a lot of other people don't have, so doing exactly what I do is not necessarily very easy. I don't think a large chipped mirror or a set of broken blinds is something very many people have just lying around like the things I used for this post.

My intention is not for people to copy things, necessarily, which is why I don't always do step by step instructions with lots of pictures (still, please feel free to make your versions of anything I do). My intention is two fold: to document some of what I have been up to and to hopefully inspire people to do something.

I don't know that I am the most creative person. I don't think my ideas are that unique. What I do think I have that some do not is the guts to try something that just might not work and then the stubbornness to continue trying to make it turn out after it became a disaster. I mean, look at the pictures of the disassembled couch before I rebuilt it.

Yesterday, for instance, I decided to try to make a crepe out of pancake mix. I honestly don't know why because I knew it wouldn't really work. I had pancake mix and wanted a crepe, I guess. After a couple tries, mixing the batter rather thin, and turning the heat up rather high, I did manage to make a pancake that I could fold up like a crepe around yummy insides. It didn't taste like a crepe, but it kind of looked like one and it was fun. Plus, it didn't taste too badly either, just a lot like a pancake. The first try, though, was an absolute mess.

I guess to quote everybody's favorite teacher who possesses a magic school bus, "Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!" After all, it is rather fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! If you wish to contact me directly, you can email me at bethslemonade@gmail.com.